Monday, 30 May 2011

Mouth Ulcer Treatment

What is "mouth ulcer"?
Mouth ulcer is an open sore inside the mouth. Mouth ulcer is a very common oral lesion. It is normally causes by a sharp edge of tooth or accidental biting or accidental collision while tooth brushing.

Some factors affecting mouth ulcer are:-

  1. Emotional stress
  2. Lack of sleep
  3. Lack of daily water intake
  4. Improper brushing
  5. Food allergy
  6. Toothpaste allergy
  7. Sharp edge of tooth collision
  8. Accidental biting

Most of the factors are said to be an external factors.

When you come to see doctor, there is medical treatment for you. Normally the doctor will give you painkiller  such as benzydamine, choline salicylate or anaesthetic lozenges. This may help to reduce the pain.
The other treatment that you can do by yourselves are:-

  1. Use soft toothbrush while brushing your teeth. Brush your teeth gently and avoid speed brushing because it  may cause you accidentally hurt your inner part of your mouth.
  2. Avoid hot, spicy food that may cause allergy. If the ulcer is already occur, spicy and hot food or drinks may make the pain even worse. Use straw to drink to avoid direct contact of the hot water and the ulcer part.
  3. Change your toothpaste if you think that its cause the allergy.
  4. Drink a lot of plain water as it can reduce the possibility of the ulcer and if the ulcer is already occur, drink plain water may help us to recover from the ulcer. 
  5. If the ulcer is getting worse, please ask your doctor for further treatment.